Small Business Saturday is coming up on Nov. 25. What started as an American Express campaign in 2010 to inspire consumers to shop locally has become an annual holiday that’s celebrated nationally.
Have an aunt in Austin? A sister in Seattle? Maybe a nephew in Nashville? Check out some of our favorite local businesses and makers from across the country to snag some neat gifts from their city.
- Pirani | For the loved one that’s always on the go, an eco-friendly stackable tumbler from this Asheville brand is a must. Bonus: These tumblers can keep drinks hot for up to six hours and cold for 12+ hours.
- Matcha Nude | The friend that’s always looking for an extra caffeine kick without the crash will love this brand’s organic and sustainably produced matcha. Check out the Matcha Starter Kit that includes matcha, a bamboo whisk and whisk holder, and a matcha measuring spoon.
- Jeff Pittman Art | Elevate any space with a piece of art by this local creator. Choose from landscapes of mountain sunsets to chromatic scenes of downtown Asheville.
- Spicewalla | No meal is complete without a sprinkling of (at least) one of these chef-driven spices. One thing we know for sure — no kitchen is complete without Spicewalla’s 18 Pack Kitchen Essentials Collection.
- Marble & Steel Craft Chocolates | Nothing says “happy holidays” like a collection of hand-painted chocolate bonbons. Bonus: Marble & Steel also makes chocolate bars that come in flavors like dark chocolate passion fruit, cookies and cream, strawberry yogurt, and salted caramel.
- Signet Sealed | Find colorful watercolor prints of various cities across the country. We love that the Austin print features the UT Tower, a 6th Street sign, and the 360 Bridge.
- kathyphantastic | Shop quirky watercolor stickers, magnets, cards, and prints. Think: a bottle of Ranch sticker, a margarita magnet, and a boba tea print.
- Major Darling | Sometimes the best gifts are those for our furry friends. Accessorize your pet with vibrant collars, leashes, and bandanas from this local brand. Bonus: Pamper your pet with Major Darling’s pet soap, salve, and ear wash.
- CEB Studio | Make a toast to your favorite city with these dishwasher safe glasses. Pro tip: These make a great gift for long distance friends — remind them to pay you a visit.
- Livtopaint | Adorn the home with colorful prints by a local artist. Or get matching beanies, t-shirts, and totes for you and your bestie.
- Covey Collection | You could get a gift for your friend, or you could get a gift for humanity’s best friend. These leashes, collars, and waste bag holders were designed in Charleston — so you know they look good.
- Kennedy Gray | Ultra-cozy and casual chic, get these clothes for the person whose hoodie you’re always stealing.
- Block + Ink | These Oxford cotton shirts are block printed with stunning patterns. Sure beats an itchy sweater if you ask us.
- Sobremesa | We all know that one person who can’t get enough hot sauce. This local purveyor of spice even has a gift box.
- Toadfish | Nobody likes a lukewarm drink. This local company takes can cooling technology to the next level — stainless steel, double insulation, and non-tipping.
- Carolina Surf Dogs | Cowabunga, dogs — snag a collar and matching hat for the dog-lover in your life. Each month a percentage of profits from this company are donated to a different cause.
- The Rustic House | Shop the scents of Chattanooga and beyond with a candle, wax melt, or diffuser from The Rustic House.
- Burlaep | Grab outdoor-themed apparel and fun shirt prints at this local shop that also works to help protect public lands. Win, win.
- Mooshi Mugs | You can never have too many mugs — especially when they’re an actual work of art, like Mooshi Mugs. We won’t blame you if you display ‘em instead of drink out of ‘em.
- Since Birth | This clothing brand is on a mission to engage, empower, and unite the community.
- Adams Apple Company | No charcuterie board or biscuit is complete without this apple butter. Pro tip: Check out the gift box options.
- Loveland Coffee | Get your coffee by the bag or the K Cup from this family-owned local coffee shop.
- Simple Times Mixers | Mixologists rejoice at this brand’s collection of preservative and concentrate-free cocktail mixers.
- CBUStoday | Okay, we had to toot our own horn a little. If you know someone who is constantly forwarding our newsletter to share an event or piece of Columbus history, spread the CBUS love with these gifts.
Fort Worth, TX
- Trippy Outdoor | Perfect for tailgating, camping, or an outdoor activity — this FTW brand’s handcrafted chairs come in a variety of colors, patterns, and sizes.
- Joy Paper Co. | Finding the perfect holiday card just got easier. Bonus: Shop wrapping paper, stickers, and notepads too.
- I Am Girl Stephanie | Bold, even outrageous earrings for those in your life who aren’t afraid to stand out.
- Good Printed Things | Get your favorite bookworm from this Greenville publisher that specializes in small batch print projects. Check out the illustrated maps for the true-blue Greenvillian on your list.
- Hannah Chloe Co. | Spiff up Spot with high-quality bows and bandanas.
- Avryn Co. | For your bestie who is constantly losing their wallet, these top-grade leather wristlets are a must.
- Hibiscus Artisan Soaps | The holidays can be stressful, so indulge in the relaxing scent of goat’s milk soap.
- Resolute Candles | These candles come in a variety of unique scents. Check out the “lumberjack” option and pull on your favorite flannel.
- Salt & Ash Soap Co | Give the gift of skin care and aromatherapy. Pro tip: Stock up your guest bathroom with fancy soaps and lotions — folks visiting for the holidays will thank you.
Kansas City, KS-MO
- Sandlot Goods | Fandom doesn’t stop at apparel — check out the KC Current coaster set, KU yardball, “Ope” pennant, and tons of Heartland merch.
- Fangirl Clothing | Rep the home team with Chiefs crews and hoodies. Styles range from cropped, to classic, to vintage.
- MADE MOBB | KC’s premier streetwear brand sells snapbacks, truckers, dad hats, and son hats (like kid-sized dad hats) in over a dozen styles.
- Thou Mayest | Brew a sustainably-sourced cup of this roaster’s signature coffee, or try out the seasonal release while it lasts.
- Cori Rose — Nikki Turner | Local Nikki Turner makes these beautiful one-of-a-kind earrings (yes, including a pair of swan earrings for Lakeland lovers who wanna share their local pride).
- East of These | Spice up your scrunchy game with these patterned hair accessories.
- KyLo & Co. | Check out unique plaster pieces and watercolors from this luxury custom art brand that works to “capture the essence of peace.”
- Broth Bomb | The popular, fizzy tub spheres… but for food. Drop your choice of broth bomb into water, along with suggested ingredients, for a delicious one-pot meal. Bonus: Most of the Broth Bombs are vegan and gluten-free.
- Babaloo Jewelry | This Indigenous-owned brand is based in Lexington and creates artisan jewelry perfect for the most stylish folks on your list.
- Wixology | Local candles make great gifts, especially when they’re sustainably sourced. We love the bourbon-based scents.
- M+H Beads | Gift casual, small-batch jewelry from this locally-based brand. Plus, a portion of proceeds goes to a local medical clinic providing free services — so the gift just keeps on giving.
- LOUtoday | Okay, we had to toot our own horn a little. If you know someone who is constantly forwarding our newsletter to share an event or piece of Lousivilian history, spread the LOU love with these gifts.
- 608today | Okay, we had to toot our own horn a little. If you know someone who is constantly forwarding our newsletter to share an event or piece of local history, spread the 608 spirit with these gifts.
- a|dash | What do you get when you mix your daily cold brew with adaptogens like turmeric or ashwagandha? a|dash’s range of products.
- Centennial Park Conservancy | Rep your favorite city while supporting the park system with these clothing items — purchases help underwrite free arts and educational programs in Centennial Park and the Parthenon.
- Roosevelt Supply Co. | Made for the outdoor lover who likes to look good, Roosevelt’s grooming products, scents, and candles are all inspired by national parks.
- Valentina Harper | Shop Valentina’s cute, colorful Nashville prints that are perfect for wall decor.
- Plant Based Candles | Get two gifts in one — once these coconut wax candles fully melt, you can reuse the jar as a planter for the wildflower seeds included. Bonus: The candle jars are actually really cute.
- Willow Ship | Shop this family-run small business that offers unique linen homewares like placemats, pillows, and table runners inspired by Scandinavian and Japanese designs.
- Portland Syrups | Forget the $15 restaurant drinks — make your own mocktails, cocktails, and sodas at home with this local company’s collection of syrups.
- Carry Courage | These functional bags, wallets, and purses are created with earth conscious materials like cork fabric and linen.
- One Stripe Chai | Brewed in Portland, One Stripe Chai offers small batch masala chai concentrates and blends.
- Savvy Oak Candle Company | These aren’t your average candles. Instead of glass jars or tins, Savvy Oak uses hand-carved bowls as vessels. Bonus: The candles are made with natural soy wax and toxin-free scents that are North Carolina-inspired.
- BrightKind Creative | Find colorful art prints, stickers, cards, and more — some of which feature positive mantras like “you are right where you need to be” and “keep doing your best.”
- Honeyluv Design by artist Renee Davis | Browse prints and apparel featuring designs inspired by the Carolinas.
- Trailblazing Love | Cultivate deeper connections with this brand’s activity boxes for couples. Bonus: Also shop s’mores kits, wooden ornaments and coasters, and cozy throw blankets.
- Blanchard Coffee | Gift a bag of some of Richmond’s very best coffee beans — choose from a variety of roasts, from dark and sweet to creamy and chocolatey.
- CEB Studio | Though this studio is based in Boston, its team creates some pretty perfect Richmond rocks glasses. Bonus: They’re dishwasher safe.
- SACtoday | Shop cute merch that spreads the SAC love, from baseball caps to beanies.
San Antonio, TX
- SATXtoday | Okay, we had to toot our own horn a little. If you know someone who is constantly forwarding our newsletter to share an event or piece of local history, spread the SATX spirit with these gifts.
San Diego, CA
- Corridor Candle Co. | Bring a little San Diego sun with you with scented travel candles, reed diffusers, and sprays inspired by places like Coronado and Anza-Borrego
- SEOULSTITCH | Add a personal touch to your space with tufted rugs and wall art in a variety of colorful designs.
- SDtoday | Okay, we had to toot our own horn a little. If you know someone who is constantly forwarding our newsletter to share an event or piece of local history, spread the SD spirit with these gifts.
San Jose, CA
- SJtoday | Okay, we had to toot our own horn a little. If you know someone who is constantly forwarding our newsletter to share an event or piece of local history, spread the SJ spirit with these gifts.
- Rainier Watch | This local brand inspired by mountains sells stickers, hats, beanies, and shirts, with 5% of every sale donated to organizations that protect national parks.
- Signet Sealed | While they come from an Austin-based company, these Seattle prints make the perfect wall art.
Tampa Bay, FL
- TBAYtoday | We’re tooting our own horn again. Spread the local spirit with these gifts, from TBAY t-shirts to mugs.
- Mary Benson Art | Shop prints inspired by North Carolina’s lush landscapes. Think: wild bergamot fields and vibrant sunsets.
- Jenni Earle | This brand will remind you to be brave and provide the encouragement your friends and family need, with inspiring bandanas, trophies, and more.
- For her: simple beaded pearl ring | Drea Studio
- For friends: hygge gift box | Arinna Gifts
- For sisters: personalized “To my sister” blanket | Relatable Basic by Irene and Annie
- For holiday lovers: winter lambs ear wreath | Sprig and Vine Wreaths
- For crafters: paint your own pins kit | Jill Makes
- For anyone: stoneware coffee mug | Spinware